Tuesday, September 7, 2010

People amaze me everyday

So how did you spend your long weekend?

At the beach? On a picnic? Maybe having lunch and shopping with a friend?

Me? Oh, I spent all three days shoveling out an apartment. And painting, and spending money I didn't have on an apartment building I never wanted.

Wow, fun times.

One of our tenants decided to move out. Not a problem, right?

Well their lease doesn't end until October 1st. They haven't paid their September rent (oh that's right, because they were planning to move, duh). The thing is they hadn't paid their August rent either.

Whatever.

I guess they planned on their security deposit counting toward that unpaid rent. It wouldn't bother me that much if they hadn't trashed the place.

And I mean trashed.

We pretty much had to shovel it out. Filthy litter box, broken toys etc., etc.
It took 4 men all of Saturday to haul it out.

It took 3 coats of paint to cover the hot pink walls in the living room.

The beautiful Kohler pedestal sink that I bought and installed in the bathroom myself is now barely fastened to the wall.

I personally refinished the built-in china cabinet in the dining room. It took me over a month to get all of the layers of paint off. I ordered special drawer pulls that were historically correct for the building. Half of said pulls are missing.

That apartment was the nicest one in the entire building. Newly finished hardwood floors, lovingly restored fireplace, custom paint job.

Trashed.

Breaks my heart.

The clincher:

Wait for it.....

They were friends of my brother.

Not strangers, friends.

Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment